Gig Harbor Boat Works is now hiring! We’re seeking another full time boat builder for our Gig Harbor assembly/finishing shop, as we’ve recently been able to pick up the pace of production on the fiberglass side of the operation, and now need another set of hands on the assembly side to help us complete all these new boats we’re building!
What we’re looking for: a Boat Builder / Assembly Shop Tech
The assembly shop tech puts finishing touches on our boats including assembling rudders, masts, sail rigs, and fastening hardware to the boats.
We need a handy person who is comfortable and confident with power tools, likes working independently or on a small team, and enjoys seeing the results of your work at the end of the day. He or she might not necessarily have direct experience with boats previously, but is curious about the craft of building boats, and the kind of person who is always game to learn something new!
This job requires mechanical competence, but it’s an entry level job with great career potential, and we are willing to train the right person.
Day-to-day Tasks / Job Requirements:
- Frequent work with power tools and hand tools — a steady hand operating machinery like table saws, jigsaws, sanders, and routers is a must.
- Light fabrication, trimming and fitting of marine parts made from carbon phenolic or HDPE.
- Wood finishing including epoxy and varnish, sanding, smoothing, buffing and polishing. Must use appropriate precautions/PPE when working with solvents or epoxy.
- Routinely lift up to 75 lbs.
- An ideal candidate will be attentive to detail and is a thoughtful listener who follows instructions well. Must be neat, clean and organized. Quality and consistency are key — there’s no cutting corners when you build a boat, or the water ends up on the wrong side of it!
- Skills in joinery and carpentry are a definite plus. Boat building experience is preferred, but not necessary.
This is a full-time, hourly, day-shift position (9am-5pm, Monday-Friday). Eligible for benefits including medical/dental/vision, retirement plan with employer 401k match, and paid time off. Pay rate DOE, starting at $17/hr. We have very low employee turnover, and are proud to be a place where people with the right mix of skills can make a good career for themselves!
Interested, or know someone who would be? We’re currently accepting applications, go check out the job listing here. We’re looking to hire quickly and are already interviewing candidates, so don’t delay– apply today!
P.S. For you potential customers keeping track, yep this news means we’ve had a considerable drop in the wait time for a new boat…we have recently cut our wait time in half, and are now looking at about 6 months to delivery on new orders. It’s a great time to order now if you’ve been on the fence!